Mitchel P. House, Jr.
- Location:Macon, Georgia
- Email:E-mail Me
Mitchel P. House, Jr. is a founding Member of the law firm of Sell & Melton LLC. Mr. House has enjoyed the AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible peer review rating in legal ability and ethical standards, for over thirty years. He has been selected by his peers as one of Georgia’s Super Lawyers in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012. In 2009, Mr. House was the recipient of the Macon Bar Association Judge William Augustus Bootle Professionalism Award.
Mr. House is a trial lawyer who represents both plaintiffs and defendants in bodily injury and wrongful death claims arising from vehicle collisions, medical malpractice and other trauma. He has represented parties in a number of $1,000,000.00 cases. He is a litigation attorney for the Medical Center of Central Georgia, Inc.
Mercer University in Macon, Georgia, conferred an AB Degree with a major in law on Mr. House in 1956 and he received a Juris Doctor Degree, Cum Laude, from Walter F. George School of Law at Mercer University in 1959. He took and passed the bar examination and was admitted to law practice in 1958 while he was still in law school. He received the Outstanding Freshman Law Student Award, the Outstanding Senior Law Student Award and the Mercer Cauldron Outstanding Law Student Award. He graduated first in his law class and was Assistant Editor-In-Chief of the Mercer Law Review.
Mr. House is admitted to all state and federal trial courts in Georgia, the Georgia Court of Appeals, the Georgia Supreme Court, the United States Eleventh and Fifth Circuit Courts of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
A Brigadier General, Georgia Army National Guard-Retired, having combined enlisted and commissioned service of over 32 years, Mr. House retired from the military in 1986 and was awarded a U. S. Presidential Citation, The Legion Of Merit, in recognition of a distinguished career as a part-time soldier. Previously he had been awarded the U. S. Meritorious Service Medal, the Georgia Distinctive Service Medal and the Georgia Meritorious Service Medal, among other decorations and awards. He served as the State Judge Advocate for the Georgia National Guard for approximately ten years and supervised a staff which provided complete legal services for the Georgia Army National Guard. His reorganization of the military justice and legal assistance programs of the Georgia Army National Guard received nationwide recognition.
Formerly a Lay Reader authorized to administer the chalice and an occasional preacher at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Macon, Georgia, Mr. House has served as Senior Warden on two occasions and presently serves as Chancellor.
An occasional lecturer at trial seminars through the years, he is a member of the Macon Bar Association, the State Bar of Georgia, the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, the American Bar Association, the American Association for Justice and was a founding member and is a Master Emeritus of the William A. Bootle American Inn of Court.
Mr House is a former Legislator in the Georgia General Assembly.
A former President of the Exchange Club of Bibb County, Georgia, Mr. House has been active through the years in various civic and charitable endeavors.
Areas of Practice
- Plaintiffs and Defendants in Bodily Injury
- Wrongful Death Claims
- Medical Malpractice
- Georgia, 1958
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Superior Courts of the State of Georgia
- Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, Macon, Georgia
- J.D. cum laude – 1959
- Honors: the Outstanding Freshman Law Student Award
- Honors: Outstanding Senior Law Student Award
- Honors: Mercer Cauldron Outstanding Law Student Award
- Law Review: Mercer Law Review, Assistant Editor-In-Chief
- Mercer University
- A.B. – 1956
- Major: law
Honors and Awards
- AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Georgia’s Super Lawyers, 2004 – 2012
- U. S. Presidential Citation
- The Legion Of Merit
- U. S. Meritorious Service Medal
- The Georgia Distinctive Service Medal
- Georgia Meritorious Service Medal
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Macon Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Georgia, Member
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- The American Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- William A. Bootle American Inn of Court, Founding Member
- William A. Bootle American Inn of Court, Master Emeritus